What is resilience?
Business resilience is the ability of a business to successfully adapt to interruptions such as severe weather; a resilient business should be able to continue their business operations even when faced with a significant event.
Resilience is about being proactive, forward planning and being prepared for an event rather than reacting after it has happened.
A resilient business:
- Is able to resist threats rather than just react to them
- Constantly identifies weaknesses in processes or infrastructure and improves on them
- Gains a competitive advantage by planning for and mitigating against potential disasters
- Employs staff who are motivated to anticipate problems and innovate when opportunities arise
- Ingrains resilience into its culture. Weather and climate change will continue to lead to a range of direct physical impacts on businesses as well as changes to the operating environment